Wonderful words from poet berni janssen for the launch of Cow...
Susan Hawthorne is an able herdswoman, a wordswoman.
She herds words, her words, other women's words
and they become poems, books, anthologies.
This book, this new book of poems, by Susan, is a real "Cow"
- a beautiful cow, a cow that yields full-cream, full-bodied milk
- a cow whose teats are tugged and language, philosophy, myth
- a wise old cow, who has seen the tragedy of loss, of injustice, of hate
- a ruminating cow, turning the cud of living, into fulsome observation and shapely insight
- a thoughtful cow, in whose calm brown eyes revolve the mysteries of universe
(the mysteries rest ...and then unravel)
- a melancholy cow, skimmed by memory,
- a playful cow, whose agile tongue juggles sounds, words, rhythms
tasting, testing, tantalising: slippages, juxtapositions, quick wit
and the low, the low, the low
of all night love
what a cow she is.
cow, gau, coo, kwin queen...
Susan has a herd of cows,
long-tongued loving kine
from myth to modernity
the ancient made contemporary,
ideas and love,
people and particularities
hope and injustice
women and their lives
this scholarly romp roams
lands, peoples, time and cultures, weaves
colloquial living, earth-heart, home-speak,
acrobatic feats, celestial feast,
many tongue, many mind, many hand
all multiple, diverse, a broad...
a real broad of a cow
these cows have histories
they go way back
not that they - the cows, their histories,
have always been told:
some lost, some denied, some hidden,
some erased, suppressed, attacked
and these cows, kind kine, queens
have much to tell
in their own way,
each in their own way
never think that a herd of cows will adhere to one path
of form, or genre, or language
each cow, a queen, who will tell
in her own way, a story which
needs to be told
of earth, heart and hardship
of sensual delights, and longlove nights
an aerial cow, a star cow
what a Queen she is
pay your coins for a "Cow",
This 'cow' is launched,
she will be over the moon!